Fortinet: FortiGate Review | Enterprise Storage Forum
Fortinet FortiGate is a next-generation firewall (NGFW) which enables security-oriented networking, consolidates security capabilities and provides a high level of protection against web-based network threats.
Security capabilities include an intrusion prevention systemm (IPS), web and video filtering, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) inspection, and automated threat protection.
Like a Market leader in firewalls in 2021 With a 40% share, FortiGate delivers enterprise cybersecurity to every edge at every scale:
Fortinet and the cybersecurity market
Fortinet is an American multinational cybersecurity solutions company based in Sunnyvale, California. It was founded in 2000 by Ken Xie and went public in November 2009.
With a mission to secure people, devices and data everywhere, Fortinet secures the largest enterprises, government organizations and service providers around the world. The company develops and sells several cybersecurity solutions, including physical firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, antivirus software and endpoint security components.
Fortinet offers several cybersecurity products and solutions to provide customers with intelligent and seamless protection over the expanding attack surface and to empower customers to meet the ever-increasing performance demands of the limitless network.
the global cybersecurity market size was valued at USD 167.13 Billion in 2020 and USD 179.96 Billion in 2021. Based on a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.9% from 2021 to 2028, the market size is expected to be $372.04 billion in 2028.
According to Canalys estimates in June 2020, Fortinet became the third-largest vendor with a 5.9% market share in cybersecurity. As of December 31, 2021, Fortinet’s market cap is $58.2 billion, with strong annual billing growth and 19.5% profitability.
FortiGate NGFW has features that enable organizations to build high-performance, secure, and ultra-scalable networks:
- Complete visibility and protection: FortiGate with SSL Inspection (including TLS 1.3) and Automated Threat Protection provides comprehensive visibility to stop ransomware, command-and-control attacks, and other hidden threats.
- FortiGuard Security Services: FortiGate combines and runs IPS security, web and video filtering, and Domain Name System (DNS) services simultaneously to reduce costs and manage risk.
- Natively integrated proxy: FortiGate adds FortiClient and delivers seamless user experience and security to the hybrid workforce with Trustless Network Access (ZTNA).
- Hyperscale Security: FortiGate builds ultra-scalable security-focused networks to meet growing business demands.
- Integration of the security structure: To create a consistent and coordinated end-to-end security posture, FortiGate shares actionable threat intelligence across the entire attack surface.
- Automation-based network management: FortiGate builds large-scale, efficient operations with an easy-to-use centralized management console that supports automation-based network management.
FortiGate use cases
South Bank relies on Fortinet to protect against external and internal cybersecurity threats. After deploying Fortinet NGFW, the bank immediately benefited from greater threat visibility and employee network traffic insights.
“We made a good choice with Fortinet because it’s obvious to me that we’re seeing a lot more activity now. It makes me wonder about all the things we may have missed in the past,” says Julie Marvin , Senior Vice President and Chief Information Security Officer at Southern Bank.
Propato chose a secure FortiGate SD-WAN solution to continue operating by increasing remote connection capacity and improving connectivity stability. The company added the FortiAnalyzer tool to improve cybersecurity threat monitoring and reporting, and a FortiClient VPN implementation for remotely accessing corporate resources.
“By implementing FortiGate secure SD-WAN, internet connectivity has become seamless as this technology helps resolve connectivity automatically and intelligently. Fortinet provides a reliable, easy-to-use and scalable solution,” says Diego Piccolotto, Head of systems and technology at Propato.
United Arab Emirates Ministry of Health and Prevention (MOHAP)
the United Arab Emirates Ministry of Health and Prevention (MOHAP) meets digital innovation commitments with Fortinet Solutions and Fortinet Professional Services. With FortiGate secure SD-WAN and a centralized management and analytics platform, Fortinet provided the overall architecture and design for a new security-focused network, replacing the legacy sprawling connections.
“Fortinet’s solutions have allowed us to put our patients first, as always, and focus on meeting their needs,” said Mubaraka Ibrahim, CIO of MOHAP.
Some of FortiGate’s key areas of differentiation are listed below.
- FortiGate has a full suite of threat protection features, including firewall, intrusion prevention, antivirus, SSL inspection, and application control.
- FortiGate delivers the fast threat protection speeds that are essential.
- With FortiGate, multi-vector attacks can be defeated more effectively as information is shared across the network.
- Fortinet publishes comprehensive SSL inspection performance against industry-mandated ciphers, providing greater visibility and predictability into FortiGate NGFW performance.
- With the FortiGate, Fortinet delivers enterprise-grade threat protection architecture within the confines of a compact 3U form factor, supporting data center consolidation and footprint reduction.
- FortiGate offers value beyond its NGFW functionality.
FortiGate NGFW reviews are generally positive. According to G2 Notice and Peer Points ReviewsFortiGate NGFW gets overall ratings of 4.7 and 4.2 out of 5. And based on the TrustRadius reviews and ratings, FortiGate NGFW receives an overall rating of 8.8 out of 10.
According to Gartner Peer Insights Reviews, FortiGate NGFW scores 4.6 out of 5, with an 88% recommendation. Reviewers also rate FortiGate NGFW on several customer experience criteria, including:
- Rating and Contract 4.5 out of 5
- Integration and deployment 4.5 out of 5
- Service and Support 4.4 out of 5
- Product Capabilities 4.6 out of 5
Fortinet’s FortiGate pricing starts at $250 for home use and can cost up to $300,000 for larger business devices. Although, Fortinet Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) per protected Mbps was the lowest, at $2, compared to other NGFW providers.
Fortinet FortiGate pricing is based on security requirements in seven categories, including Chassis, Ultra High-End, High-End, Mid-Range, Entry-Level, Virtual Machine, and Data Center Firewall.
Fortinet’s FortiGate meets the performance demands of highly scalable hybrid IT architectures, enabling organizations to reduce complexity and manage security risk.
Additionally, Fortinet training and certification help users quickly understand and adapt to the platform.
Fortinet is a market-leading cybersecurity company with many trusted products and services. Companies interested in implementing an NGFW should take advantage of the free online demos, resource center, and free trials offered by Fortinet.